Sunday 3 July 2011

German Phrases

A trip to Germany for someone who has no clue about the German language may be quite a tough affair. This reminds me of a German friend who is currently in Pune, India and is very enthusiastic to learn all about an Indian dance, namely- Kathak. Seeing the amount of problems she has encountered while her stay in India, especially because of her lack of the English knowledge, commuting in the city has become quite an issue with her. Therefore, it never hurts to know a few phrases or sentences of the language that is spoken in the country you are planning to visit. I have made a compilation of German phrases that can help you go to around Germany without too much of a hassle. These German phrases and their meaning will help you to make a good impression about yourself and even go around the place without facing too many problems.

German Phrases and their Meaning:
Guten Morgen - Good morning
Guten Tag – Hello/Good day
Guten Abend - Good Evening
Wie heißen Sie? - What is your name?
Grüß Gott – Greetings
Entschuldigen Sie bitte - Excuse me, please
Gern gescheh'n!/ Keine Ursache!/ Kein Problem - You're Welcome- answering "thank you"
Haben Sie viel zu tun? - Are you busy?
Wie geht's? - How are you?
Darf ich mich vorstellen? - May I introduce myself?
Wissen Sie hier Bescheid? - Do you know your way around here?
Ja – Yes
Nein – No
Danke- Thanks
Bitte - You're welcome
Ich heisse - My name is
Es geht mir gut, danke - I'm fine thanks
Ich weiß - I know
Sprechen Sie Englisch - Do you speak English?
Ist das Ihnen recht? - Is it all right with you?
Wie geht es Ihnen? - How are you? (Formal)
Das laß ich mir gefallen! - I'm glad about that
Du hast/ Sie haben mir so gefehlt! - I missed you so much!
Bis später! - See You Later!
Viel Glück - Good Luck
Danke schön – Thank you very much
Ich bin froh, Sie kennenzulernen - Pleased to meet you
Wunderbar! – Wonderful/Super
Fühlen Sie sich wie zu Hause - Feel at home
Freilich - To be sure! Indeed!
(Herzlichen) Glückwunsch – Congratulations
Gesundheit! - Bless you – used when one is sneezing
Jetzt geht mir ein Licht auf - Now I get it
Herzlich willkommen - Welcome
Gott sei Dank! - Thank God!
Das macht Spaß - That's fun!
Ich spreche nur gebrochen deutsch - I only speak some sentences in German
Fühlen Sie sich wie zu Hause - Feel at home
Das läßt sich hören!- That's good to hear!
Ich möchte essen – I want to eat
Ich möchte Wasser – I want water
Verstehen Sie? – Do you understand?
Wiederholen Sie- Speak slowly
Viel Vergnügen! - Have fun!
Bitte nehmen Sie Platz! - Please take a seat
Ich habe mich verlaufen – I am lost
Ich werde Ihnen Geld geben – You will be rewarded
Mein Herr – Sir
Machen Sie es sich bequem - Make yourself comfortable
Alles Gute - Good luck
Was ist denn los? - What's the matter?
Gute Nacht! - Good night!
Wiederholen Sie – Say it again
Wo befindet sich die Toilette, bitte - Where is the toilet, please?
Danke, es geht mir gut. - Thanks, I'm fine
Bitte bedienen Sie sich! - Please help yourself!
Das schlägt's dreizehn! – That’s the last straw!
Hoffentlich! – Hopefully
Ich werde Ihnen Bescheid sagen - I will inform you
Auf Wiedersehen! - Good-bye!
Tschüs! - Bye-bye!

I am hoping these German phrases help you to communicate in an effective manner with the natives of the place. These German phrases will help you everyday to converse and get to know your way about more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment